Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seeds of Doubt

I still haven't counted my seeds collected and saved over from last year. I still have no idea how many seeds I need to get. I like to trade seeds rather than buy them. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I'd rather get my seeds through exchange with another gardener than from a packet at Walmart. And seeds from catalogs are so expensive....

I would like to get on my seeds right away, but I have other projects to do first. For one thing, I've got to sort and put away all the herbs I grew and harvested like four months ago. Before that, even, I've got to make birthday party invitations for my "baby", who is turning two in a few weeks.

Another garden challenge I'm currently facing is a dilemma between how much I can grow, given the amount of room and time I have, versus how much I would like to grow. I want to be as self-sufficient as possible, at least when it comes to fruits and veg and herbs, but at the same time, I want to be able to give some of my produce away. It's not so much a sense of pride as much as it's a sense of being able to help others. I have other family members who could really benefit from fresh and canned food. I definitely understand there are plenty of people worse-off financially than we are, and I just want to help them! I'll probably end up striking a compromise between how much I save and how much I give away. In the process, I may just be able to convince a few people to grow their own, seeing as I have a limited amount of space to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment