Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Garlic Woes

I pulled up my garlic today. It was time. But boy, was it disappointing! I planted twice the amount of garlic than what actually grew, and from what grew, I ended up with half of those bulbs reaching maturity. I say maturity a little tongue-in-cheek, because these bulbs are tiny! I suspect my problem was I planted the bulbs themselves too deep to begin with last autumn.

I had planned on using my garlic in a variety of ways, including adding it to cans of pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and salsa, drying it into powder, and of coarse using the bulbs themselves in fresh cooking. Doesn't look like all that is going to happen. I've decided to try my hand at "dilly beans" for the girls, so I think I'll use my home-grown garlic for that. Beyond what I've got, I'll have to buy my garlic at the farmer's market.

This autumn I'm going to read up on garlic again and plant double what I had planted last year and be sure to take better care of it. I WILL grow garlic in my yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment