Sunday, January 4, 2009

Write Now

I like to write. When I was little, I always thought I would grow up to be a famous author. So far that hasn't happened. When I got a little older, I thought I would go to New York City or someplace just as glamorous and go to university there. I had this whole plan in my head: go to University, let a much older, very rich professor fall in love with me and have a lurid affair with him while he supports me while I write until I become famous. Then I would dump him and let a younger, richer celebrity fall in love with me and only use him for some of his money while I made my own money writing. All of that fell through.

I wound up marrying a guy I met in high school. We hung around the same group of friends, but we didn't even start dating till I was 19. Then we got married, had our first baby, and he became an engineer. We had another baby, and now he has a "career" while I'm home with my girls, nowhere near New York City.

Don't get me wrong- I love staying home with my girls. I don't have a boss to report to, and I can do all my work in my jammies. While sitting around in jammies and being spit up on isn't quiet as glamorous as the lifestyle I had in mind, it does have it's perks. Jammies are much more comfortable than mini-skirts or power suits. In all fairness, I find jammies to be more flattering than power suits most of the time.

Since my husband is an engineer, we have money coming out of our ears. At least, that's what a lot of people tend to think. While we don't lack the money to provide basic nessecities, and a few niceties, we don't have a money tree growing out back. I like to think that part of the reason we can afford the things we do is smart money-management. I'll be talking a lot more about that in future posts.

The last thing you should know about me is that I love to grow food. I have quite an extensive garden which takes up most of our front lawn and a good part of our back yard, too. It's growing every year. My ultimate goal is to have about 100 square feet of lawn, and the rest of our space will be dedicated to growing useful things. I estimate I will approach that goal within the next four years or so. I want to become as self-sufficient as possible. I'm not some Doomsday Loonie, I just like to grow things and I find grass to be a waste of space. There are plenty of other reasons, but I won't get into that now. I've got dinner to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment